Liverpool

  • Roma yet to receive bid for Liverpool an...

    Roma have yet to receive an offer for in-demand goalkeeper Alisson, claims Monchi, despite the Brazil international being heavily linked with Liverpool and Real Madrid. It appeared as though a switch to Spain was on the cards at one stage, with James Pallotta suggesting that a €...

    Roma yet to receive bid for Liverpool and Real Madrid target Alisson

    Roma have yet to receive an offer for in-demand goalkeeper Alisson, claims Monchi, despite the Brazil international being heavily linked with Liverpool and Real Madrid. It appeared as though a switch to Spain was on the cards at one stage, with James Pallotta suggesting that a €78 million (£69m/$91m) deal was close. The Roma president has since claimed that he was joking and that those in the Italian capital have no intention of parting with a prized asset. That remains the stance when it comes to a man currently away on World Cup duty, with Monchi adamant that no rumoured interest has been formalised. Roma’s sporting director told reporters at the club’s unveiling of new signing Javier Pastore: “As of now we’ve had no offers for Alisson. “All I think about is waiting for the World Cup to finish, but hopefully for Brazil that’s as late as possible, then he can rest, come here, and train with his team-mates. “I want to make it clear: as of now no offer has arrived. If you asked me about [Patrick] Schick I’d say the same thing, I’ve read so much but no offer has come in. “That’s the reality, and I have to work with reality.” Alisson is not the only Roma player to have sparked plenty of transfer talk, with Lorenzo Pellegrini another to have been linked with leading sides across Europe. Arsenal, Manchester United and Juventus are among those said to be keen on the highly-rated midfielder, but Monchi insists he is another who is going nowhere. He added: “I met Giampiero Pocetta [Pellegrini's agent] last week, and we did not talk about his goodbye. We are calm.”

  • Asensio not discussing Liverpool links u...

    Real Madrid midfielder Marco Asensio plans to sort out his club future after Spain's World Cup campaign, amid reported interest from Liverpool. Asensio started the 2017-18 season strongly, scoring in both legs of the Supercopa de Espana triumph over Barcelona, but struggled to r...

    Asensio not discussing Liverpool links until after World Cup

    Real Madrid midfielder Marco Asensio plans to sort out his club future after Spain's World Cup campaign, amid reported interest from Liverpool. Asensio started the 2017-18 season strongly, scoring in both legs of the Supercopa de Espana triumph over Barcelona, but struggled to retain a place in Zinedine Zidane's star-studded side. The 22-year-old signed a six-year contract, which reportedly includes a €700 million (£616m/$816m) buyout clause, at the Santiago Bernabeu last September, but has been linked with a close-season switch to Anfield. Asensio came off the bench in Spain's World Cup win over Iran and the 2-2 draw against Morocco on Monday - a result that sent them through to the last 16 as Group B winners - and says the national team is his sole focus for the time being. Asked about Liverpool's interest, Asensio said: "That's something in the news but I'm very focused in the World Cup. "When it ends, we can talk about that kind of thing. I'm very focused here in Russia, on the national team and performing well here." David de Gea has come under intense scrutiny after an error gave Cristiano Ronaldo his second goal in their opening draw, and has gone on to concede five goals from six shots on targets. However, Asensio is confident the Manchester United goalkeeper will prove why he is widely considered to be one of the best in his position. "I see him calm. He couldn't do much more on the goals [against Morocco]," he said. "The national team keeper is a very demanding role, but he is more than prepared. "He is willing and he is calm and I'm sure we'll see the sort of performances he has previously shown for the remainder of this World Cup." Spain's campaign was thrown into turmoil when they sacked Julen Lopetegui just two days before their opening match, the coach having agreed to join Madrid less than 24 hours beforehand. Fernando Hierro was installed as his replacement for the competition, and Asensio thinks the adversity has brought greater cohesion to the squad. "We went through a weird situation that nobody expected and that could have affected us a bit. But we talked it through, we had to remain united, a World Cup is only every four years and is very important for us," added Asensio. "Every game is a new challenge, it is very difficult to beat any team and that is what we are seeing."

  • Lyon to tempt Fekir with bumper new cont...

    Nabil Fekir is open to signing a contract extension at Lyon after a transfer to Liverpool fell through, president Jean-Michel Aulas says. The 24-year-old appeared on the verge of joining the Premier League side as the clubs discussed a £60 million (€68m/$80m) transfer, only for ...

    Lyon to tempt Fekir with bumper new contract in attempt to thwart Madrid & Liverpool

    Nabil Fekir is open to signing a contract extension at Lyon after a transfer to Liverpool fell through, president Jean-Michel Aulas says. The 24-year-old appeared on the verge of joining the Premier League side as the clubs discussed a £60 million (€68m/$80m) transfer, only for Lyon to declare that he is going nowhere when negotiations hit a snag. Aulas revealed that Lyon called off the deal because it was taking too much time and added that there is further interest in the France star, with Real Madrid among those tracking him. But despite the offers coming in, Aulas is confident the Ligue 1 side can hold onto their attacking midfield star. "I had an exchange with him the day after we decided to stop the negotiation with Liverpool. He was very serene," Aulas told Le Parisien.  "I immediately told him that if he wanted to stay, we could extend. I had said before that we did not need to sell. We have the means to keep Fekir.  "The current trend is that we do not let anyone go to have the best team and that we will strengthen it as planned." Lyon had hoped to boost their defence this summer with the arrival of 22-year-old centre-back Abdou Diallo from Mainz, but look set to lose out as he nears a €25m move to Borussia Dortmund. And Aulas says he has already heard from the France Under 21 captain as they turn their attention to other targets. "He called me to tell me he was not coming. We cannot do anything with young players," he added. "In principle, we look for an older defender. We had an opportunity, but it is necessary that the salary of a player in a French team is not incoherent with the other players of the same status."

  • Salah will not draw special plan from Sa...

    Saudi Arabia coach Juan Antonio Pizzi insists he has no special plans for Egypt superstar Mohamed Salah in Monday's closing World Cup Group A match. Both sides are already eliminated ahead of their meeting in Volgograd, with Pizzi's improving in terms of performance if not point...

    Salah will not draw special plan from Saudi Arabia manager Pizzi

    Saudi Arabia coach Juan Antonio Pizzi insists he has no special plans for Egypt superstar Mohamed Salah in Monday's closing World Cup Group A match. Both sides are already eliminated ahead of their meeting in Volgograd, with Pizzi's improving in terms of performance if not points when they went down 1-0 to Uruguay on the back of a 5-0 opening-night thrashing against Russia. Egypt lost by the same scoreline to the South American group favourites and were unable to stop the hosts' juggernaut earlier this week, beaten 3-1 in St Petersburg. Salah returned from a shoulder injury to win and score a consolation penalty in that match but appeared significantly short of fitness. The Liverpool star looks set to feature in his country's World Cup finale, despite reports he would quit the team, giving Saudi Arabia a difficult task in the Group A clash.  Luis Suarez netted the only goal against Saudi Arabia in Rostov-on-Don but was largely well shackled and former Chile boss Pizzi believes that showed the best approach against such stars is a collective one. "We didn't mark Suarez in a particular way but, of course, we saw certain qualities there," he said. "When you have that high individual quality, you have to show this to the players and show what we have to do is stave that off. "When it comes to Mohamed Salah it's the same thing. He has huge qualities. He has had a wonderful career, especially this last year in England. "Of course, we will take precautionary measures - not specifically for him but in general terms." A major talking point heading into the tournament was the agreement between the Saudi General Sports Authority and La Liga that saw three of the country's leading players – Salem Al Dawsari, Fahad Al Muwallad and Yahya Al Shehri – head on loan to Villarreal, Levante and Leganes respectively in January, only to compile a grand total of three substitute appearances between them. When challenged on the matter at his pre-match news conference, Pizzi insisted Saudi Arabia had nevertheless benefitted from the arrangement and would continue to do so. "I would like to be very forceful on that – 100 per cent," he replied. "I think that was absolutely correct [despite] the fact that they've not participated in any of the matches and only started playing here "We see that they have developed leaps and bounds over the past four months. "We hope that these experiences can be repeated. Not just in the Spanish league but in other leagues. "Hopefully, as a consequence of these experiences, they can bring that experience to bear for the national side."

Leagues
  • EPL
  • La Liga
  • Bundesliga
  • Serie A
  • Champions League
  • Europa League
Clubs
  • Real Madrid
  • Barcelona
  • Manchester United
  • Arsenal
  • Bayern Munich
  • Liverpool
  • Chelsea
  • Manchester City
  • A.C. Milan
  • Juventus
  • Inter Milan
menu