TOP NEWS

  • San Jose Earthquakes name Mikael Stahre ...

    The San Jose Earthquakes have hired Mikael Stahre as the club's new head coach, with Chris Leitch and Alex Covelo, who spent the final four months of the 2017 season as head coach and assistant coach, returning to their former roles with the club.  Stahre comes to MLS after time...

    San Jose Earthquakes name Mikael Stahre as new head coach

    The San Jose Earthquakes have hired Mikael Stahre as the club's new head coach, with Chris Leitch and Alex Covelo, who spent the final four months of the 2017 season as head coach and assistant coach, returning to their former roles with the club.  Stahre comes to MLS after time in the Allsvenskan, the top flight in Sweden, having managed BK Hacken to a top-four finish in his only season with the club. The 42-year-old won a Swedish title with AIK in 2009 and has over a decade of experience as a head coach across Sweden, China and Greece.  “After a thorough evaluation process, we are excited that Mikael will be joining our club,” said Earthquakes general manager Jesse Fioranelli in a team release. “What stood out with Mikael are not only the cups his teams won and his consistency over the past 10+ seasons, but also his ability to identify with our players, our coaching staff and most importantly our goals.” A miracle finish saw the Earthquakes claim the final MLS Western Conference playoff spot in 2017, though the club suffered a 5-0 defeat at the hands of the Vancouver Whitecaps in their first postseason match.  Stahre has a solid history of improving clubs, having taken AIK from fifth place to a title and turning IFK into a contender in his time with the club.  “I am very proud to be the new head coach of the San Jose Earthquakes and for the opportunity to work with Jesse Fioranelli and the other members of the organization,” said Stahre. “I'm going to give everything I have to the Quakes and I am very excited about being a part of the future of the club.” The rest of the coaching staff will be announced at a later date. 

  • Klopp hits back at Conte: They have the ...

    Jurgen Klopp rejected Antonio Conte's claims Liverpool have gained an unfair scheduling advantage before their Premier League clash with Chelsea on Saturday. Chelsea head coach Conte lamented the fact Liverpool had a day more to prepare, while his side made an 8,000km round trip...

    Klopp hits back at Conte: They have the best Christmas schedule

    Jurgen Klopp rejected Antonio Conte's claims Liverpool have gained an unfair scheduling advantage before their Premier League clash with Chelsea on Saturday. Chelsea head coach Conte lamented the fact Liverpool had a day more to prepare, while his side made an 8,000km round trip to Azerbaijan, following their respective Champions League fixtures. Although Klopp stated he understood the difficulty of Conte's predicament, he said the difference in preparation time would not be impactful when the two face each other at Anfield. "I really get what Antonio is talking about, I heard about it, but maybe he forgot they had the best Christmas schedule last year," Klopp said. "Everyone played every two days and they had 12 days to play three games. It is the same situation this year and I don't know how the Premier League will explain it. "I really think recovery for a team is important and he is right, but it will not have an influence on this game. Maybe the next one, that is possible." Although Liverpool have not seen defeat since last month's 4-1 hammering at the hands of Tottenham, their defensive struggles once again came to the fore midweek, surrendering a three-goal lead in Tuesday's 3-3 Champions League draw with Sevilla. Saturday's clash with Chelsea could prove pivotal in Liverpool's hopes for a Champions League spot next season, but Klopp maintained his side do not have the upper hand. "Now they [Chelsea] are already back, they flew back to London and have two days to recover and that is a normal situation," he said. "Three days is never a problem, two days is a big problem but obviously nobody wants to hear that."

  • Wenger not bothered by Ozil transfer spe...

    Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger dismissed speculation that soon-to-be free agent Mesut Ozil is set to sign for La Liga giants Barcelona. Arsenal playmaker Ozil is out of contract at the end of the season and Barca have emerged as a possible destination for the Germany internationa...

    Wenger not bothered by Ozil transfer speculation

    Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger dismissed speculation that soon-to-be free agent Mesut Ozil is set to sign for La Liga giants Barcelona. Arsenal playmaker Ozil is out of contract at the end of the season and Barca have emerged as a possible destination for the Germany international. However, Wenger is uninterested in speaking about the possibility of a move during the January transfer window, along with the future of Alexis Sanchez. "What kind of control can I have over that [speculation]? All these people have agents who can talk to anybody," Wenger said. "That doesn't disturb people, that happens all through their career. I have no concerns. I am more concerned about the team performance. "Ozil and Alexis are praised when the team is doing well because of them, and when the team doesn't do well they get more criticism. I'm more concerned that the team performances are strong performances." Arsenal's form has been patchy of late, with last Saturday's Premier League win in the North London derby over Tottenham splitting defeats to Manchester City and Cologne. Now having to back up from Europa League competition away to Burnley on Sunday, Wenger is not fazed with Ozil and Sanchez's transfer speculation. "They are honest. I don't question their honesty," he said. "Nobody knows what will happen when the players reach the end of their contracts. "Our worry is to perform on Sunday. That's it."  

  • Mourinho slams Mkhitaryan for disappeari...

    Jose Mourinho has demanded improvement from Henrikh Mkhitaryan and accused the Manchester United playmaker of "disappearing" during games. Armenia international Mkhitaryan started the season in impressive form, supplying five assists in United's opening three Premier League matc...

    Mourinho slams Mkhitaryan for disappearing in matches

    Jose Mourinho has demanded improvement from Henrikh Mkhitaryan and accused the Manchester United playmaker of "disappearing" during games. Armenia international Mkhitaryan started the season in impressive form, supplying five assists in United's opening three Premier League matches before scoring in the 4-0 win over Everton in September. The 28-year-old's form has tailed off since and he missed out on United's last two matchday squads against Newcastle United and Basel. Mourinho told reporters the former Borussia Dortmund favourite would return to face Brighton and Hove Albion at Old Trafford on Saturday but left him under no illusions that his standards have been noted as dipping sharply. "I was not happy with his last performances," Mourinho said. "I'm not speaking about one or two, I'm speaking about three, four or five. "He started the season very well and after that step by step he was disappearing. His performance levels in terms of goal scoring and assists, high pressing, recovering the ball high up the pitch, bringing the team with him as a No 10, were decreasing step by step. "That was enough [to drop him] because the others worked to have a chance." Such criticism of creative attacking players have become a theme of Mourinho's management over recent years. Anthony Martial was urged not to "waste" his talent by his boss earlier this year, while Juan Mata – the Spain international who Mourinho sold to United while in charge of Chelsea – has been in and out of the starting line-up this season. "I think they give what they can," the Portuguese said. "I cannot complain about the dedication or the motivation. "They all try to give their best. I think we had an improvement with Martial. He's scoring more goals than last season. "The other players are what they are. They have different kinds of qualities. Sometimes they produce a lot, and we have lots of chances and we don't score enough. "The reality is that in the Premier League by not scoring enough we are still the second team with the [second] most goals scored."

  • Hoeness: Heynckes could stay on at Bayer...

    Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness believes manager Jupp Heynckes may stick around with the club past this season.  Heynckes stepped in for his fourth stint with the Bavarians as a replacement for Carlo Ancelotti in October with his contract running through the end of the seaso...

    Hoeness: Heynckes could stay on at Bayern

    Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness believes manager Jupp Heynckes may stick around with the club past this season.  Heynckes stepped in for his fourth stint with the Bavarians as a replacement for Carlo Ancelotti in October with his contract running through the end of the season. There has been much discussion of who would replace the 72-year-old at the end of the campaign, with former Dortmund coach Thomas Tuchel, Hoffenheim manager Julian Nagelsmann and even Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp being mentioned as candidates to take over.  But Hoeness believes there is a chance that the club could continue on with Heynckes, who has helped the club climb back to the top of the Bundesliga and qualify for last 16 of the Champions League despite the club getting off to a poor start in both competitions.  "I think that is possible, yes," the president said when asked if the manager might stay on after the club's annual general meetings on Friday.  The club has not lost under Heynches since he took over, winning nine straight in all competitions. Bayern hold a six-point lead over Schalke at the top of the Bundesliga and are three points back of PSG in Champions League Group B, with the clubs set to square off on the final matchday.  The French side's 3-0 beating of Bayern on October 27 sparked the sacking of Ancelotti.  "The night of Paris [3-0 Champions League loss to Paris Saint-Germain] made the club wake up," Hoeness said. "In this night, we set the course for what we have seen in the past six weeks. "Since then we had nine games and won all of them. With Jupp Heynckes the mood changed completely. All of us only hover now.  There is a new spirit." On Ancelotti's dismissal, Rummenigge maintains that their personal relationship is intact. "I want to thank Carlo Ancelotti," Rummenigge said. "He is a good person and a very good coach. The decision to sack him so early in the season was not easy, but professionally necessary. "When I told him the decision Carlo said, 'Okay, you are not my boss anymore, but you stay as my friend.' "That is something that is rare. I wish him and his team all the best."  

Leagues
  • EPL
  • La Liga
  • Bundesliga
  • Serie A
  • Champions League
  • Europa League
Clubs
  • Real Madrid
  • Barcelona
  • Manchester United
  • Arsenal
  • Bayern Munich
  • Liverpool
  • Chelsea
  • Manchester City
  • A.C. Milan
  • Juventus
  • Inter Milan
menu