- Sinisa Mihajlovic has again hit out at forward Maxi Lopez for being overweight after dropping him from Torino's squad against Bologna on Sunday. Higuain achieves first for 11 years at Juve The Torino boss' mood was not helped by a 2-0 away defeat in Serie A, with Lopez not incl...Sinisa Mihajlovic has again hit out at forward Maxi Lopez for being overweight after dropping him from Torino's squad against Bologna on Sunday. Higuain achieves first for 11 years at Juve The Torino boss' mood was not helped by a 2-0 away defeat in Serie A, with Lopez not included in his plans, despite star striker Andrea Belotti's absence through suspension. Mihajlovic, who had discussed the situation ahead of the match, was asked to address it again after the game and suggested the Argentine's omission could become permanent if he does not trim down. "We have been trying for months to get Maxi Lopez to lose weight," he said to Rai. "If a player wants to be in my team, he has to respect the rules. Until he can do that, he will not be called up." Mihajlovic had already criticised Lopez in September, slamming the 32-year-old for being seven kilos overweight "which is like having a washing machine on his back", ordering him to change his diet and threatening to fine him if he did not show progress. But before the Bologna game, he explained his move to drop Lopez by saying: "It is because the washing machine is still there." Reports in Italy suggest Mihajlovic is desperate to sell Lopez before the transfer window closes. Lopez has scored once in 10 appearances in all competitions for Torino this season and has been an unused substitute on a further 18 occasions.
- Gerard Deulofeu has arrived in Italy to finalise a transfer to AC Milan from Everton. The 22-year-old winger touched down at Malpensa airport on Sunday, where he was met by Rossoneri director Rocco Maiorino. Busquets stretchered off for Barca The former Barcelona man is expect...Gerard Deulofeu has arrived in Italy to finalise a transfer to AC Milan from Everton. The 22-year-old winger touched down at Malpensa airport on Sunday, where he was met by Rossoneri director Rocco Maiorino. Busquets stretchered off for Barca The former Barcelona man is expected to complete a medical on Monday ahead of completing an initial loan move to San Siro. "I am very happy to be here," he told the assembled media at the airport. "I chose Milan because it's a great club." Asked if he is excited to link up with former Spain Under-21 team-mate Suso, he added: "Yes, of course." Milan posted a tweet on Friday welcoming the arrival of Deulofeu, but it was later deleted and no confirmation over the transfer followed. Reports in England have claimed that Everton took a complaint directly to Milan, insisting that any agreement had yet to be ratified. Speaking ahead of Milan's defeat to Napoli on Saturday, CEO Adriano Galliani confirmed that talks were ongoing, though he would not speculate on whether a satisfactory conclusion would be reached. Everton manager Ronald Koeman stated this week that he would not stand in the way of a move for Deulofeu, who is eager for first-team football, having not played in the Premier League since the 3-2 defeat to Watford on December 10.
- Stefano Pioli admitted he deserved to be sent to the stands during Inter's 1-0 win over Palermo, but felt Cristian Ansaldi should not have been shown a red card. An eventful second half at a rain-drenched Stadio Renzo Barbera saw Inter take the lead through Joao Mario, before An...Stefano Pioli admitted he deserved to be sent to the stands during Inter's 1-0 win over Palermo, but felt Cristian Ansaldi should not have been shown a red card. An eventful second half at a rain-drenched Stadio Renzo Barbera saw Inter take the lead through Joao Mario, before Ansaldi was sent off for a sliding challenge on Ilija Nestorovski. Inter continue winning run Palermo's Alessandro Gazzi was also dismissed after receiving a second yellow card in the last minute of the game, and Pioli questioned referee Massimiliano Irrati's decisions in his post-match comments. "There were two players on the ground and the fourth official said that nothing had happened. When I saw the red card for Ansaldi I went to ask for explanations. I was wrong and I paid for it," Pioli told Premium Sport. "The field was slippery and there were so many collisions. An international referee must understand that the player has slipped. "I was wrong to leave the technical area, but I thought that the game had stopped." Pioli expressed his satisfaction at having extended Inter's winning streak in Serie A to six consecutive matches, but admitted it was only after the introduction of Joao Mario as a second-half substitute that they played their best football. "We hit more crosses and pressured their area, and Joao Mario did very well to score, but we must create the right conditions to do so even when he's not there," said Pioli. "Every win is always very nice. We knew it would be difficult, and that the opponent would show great will and determination. We didn't give away any shots on goal. "It was an important victory. The other teams at the top are all strong, so we can only think about ourselves and try to win games where possible. Our future also depends on how we have played up to now. "We have to have a great second half of the season to qualify for the Champions League. Now we prepare ourselves well because Pescara, Juventus and Lazio await us." Palermo coach Eugenio Corini felt his side deserved a share of the points after they held Inter for over an hour and had a goal disallowed in the dying minutes of the game. Joao Mario fires Inter to three points He told Sky: "I think we deserved a different result for the way we played. It is a shame that our performance did not bring points. "This was already a complicated season and is becoming even more so."
- Gonzalo Higuain hailed Juventus' complete performance in their home Serie A victory over Lazio, saying the visitors did not offer the slightest threat. Juve won 2-0 on Sunday thanks to strikes from Paulo Dybala and Higuain inside the first 16 minutes. It was an impressive resp...Gonzalo Higuain hailed Juventus' complete performance in their home Serie A victory over Lazio, saying the visitors did not offer the slightest threat. Juve won 2-0 on Sunday thanks to strikes from Paulo Dybala and Higuain inside the first 16 minutes. It was an impressive response from Massimiliano Allegri's men after they had suffered their fourth league defeat of the season at Fiorentina last time out. Higuain achieves first for 11 years at Juve And the former Real Madrid striker was thrilled after a match which saw him score his 12th career Serie A goal against Lazio, making them his favourite top-flight opponents. "Lazio didn't threaten us in the slightest and we have taken three very big points," Higuain said to Sky Italia. "The only ones with doubts were the media. We knew full well that we made mistakes, but we had proven ourselves in every other game. "We figured out what we got wrong at Fiorentina and worked on it." The victory over fourth-placed Lazio saw Allegri deploy a bold new 4-2-3-1 system, which featured attacking trio Higuain, Dybala and Mario Mandzukic in the same team for the first time in Serie A this season. "It means we have to work hard but it is an excellent idea," added Higuain, who now has 14 league goals this season. "It is normal with a more attacking system that we all need to track back and help out in defence, but we proved that we can play like this." Allegri thrilled 'mad idea' worked Juve are now four points clear of Roma, who face Cagliari later on Sunday, at the top of Serie A. Midfielder Miralem Pjanic was similarly impressed by his team's display, telling Juve's website: "We really enjoyed the system and it was a great response from us. "We afforded them very little and we were aggressive, creating chances and playing good football. These are three very important points in the title race."
- Inter extended their Serie A winning streak to six games with a 1-0 victory over Palermo courtesy of Joao Mario's second-half goal. Stefano Pioli's side arrived in Sicily on the back of a draining midweek extra-time victory over Bologna in the Coppa Italia, and it took the Neraz...Inter extended their Serie A winning streak to six games with a 1-0 victory over Palermo courtesy of Joao Mario's second-half goal. Stefano Pioli's side arrived in Sicily on the back of a draining midweek extra-time victory over Bologna in the Coppa Italia, and it took the Nerazzurri over an hour to break down their struggling hosts. After heavy pressure on the Palermo goal failed to pay off, Pioli sent on Joao Mario for Ever Banega and it took the Portuguese midfielder just 10 minutes to make his mark when he volleyed home Antonio Candreva's cross to put Inter ahead. Palermo - who reduced to 10 men in stoppage time with Alessandro Gazzi's red card - continued to battle in the hope of salvaging a point, but in the end coach Eugenio Corini was left with a third consecutive defeat and mounting pressure on his position at the club. Inter had Cristian Ansaldi and Pioli sent off in the closing stages, but the hope of achieving a finish in Serie A's top four is growing with each result with the head coach now enjoying a league record of seven wins, one draw and just one defeat. Ilija Nestorovski fired just wide with Samir Handanovic at full stretch in the opening exchanges and Palermo looked bright while their visitors were perhaps fatigued after their cup exploits. Inter eventually came to life and began to feed Mauro Icardi, who controlled a long Marcelo Brozovic pass wonderfully on his chest only to see his shot easily saved by Josip Posavec. In the pouring rain in Sicily, Palermo battled hard to stay on terms with their in-form visitors and Robin Quaison went through on goal but hit the side netting with his shot, while at the other end Posavec twice saved well from Candreva's close range attempts. Inter ramped up the pressure and Brozovic's dipping 25-yard drive would have found the net had it not been for Posavec's acrobatic save, but Pioli's men failed to make a breakthrough before half-time. Eugenio Corini's side continued to frustrate Inter in the second half, withstanding a series of corners and a Roberto Gagliardini shot that flew narrowly over the crossbar, but there was a sense that Palermo's resistance would not last. Pioli sent on Joao Mario for Banega and, after Posavec had made a good reaction save from Icardi, the Inter substitute broke the deadlock with a deft close range volley from Candreva's cross. Ansaldi was sent off for his second bookable offence after he slid in recklessly on Nestorovski, and Pioli was also dismissed for his remonstrations in the aftermath. And there was more late drama to follow when Quaison had a goal disallowed due to a preceding free-kick being taken too quickly. Palermo's refusal to give up in the dying minutes made for a nervous ending to the game but their hopes ended with Gazzi's dismissal for a second bookable offence, Inter holding on for a victory and their claim to the title of Serie A's form team.